Your ultimate guide to vaping devices
As vaping grows in popularity, it can seem like there are a million and one vaping devices available on the market. The right vaping device for you comes down to personal preference and what works for some may not for others. Each type of device has its own pros and cons but all can be used to cut down the consumption of traditional tobacco cigarettes or simply for pleasure.
There are 3 main types of e-cigarette devices – cig-a-likes, vape pens, and mods – but how do you choose which one to use? Doing some initial research is a good starting point before you make your first purchase.
Cig-a-likes were until recently the most commonly used vaping device across the world. They are recognizable by the glowing tip mimicking a typical tobacco cigarette. They can be both disposable or refillable, allowing users to pick their preferred option.
The compact device resembles a traditional cigarette and for this reason it’s often the first choice for those looking to move away from tobacco cigarettes. The devices typically only have a few components and are simple to use and refill when necessary. As a result, it’s often the e-cigarette type that’s associated with newbies, acting as a starting point for vaping.
The pros of cig-a-likes:
- Simple to use and ideal for new vapers that want to get started straight away.
- The choice between disposable and refillable offers vapers some flexibility.
- They’re very portable and convenient to use without having to carry around lots of extras.
The cons of cig-a-likes:
- They typically have short battery lives of around 4 hours, which can be impractical if you vape a lot.
- There is less choice for both disposable and refillable cig-a-likes when it comes to e-juice flavors and the design of the device.
- In the long-term cig-a-likes can prove to be a more expensive vaping option when compared to the alternatives.
Vape pens, sometimes referred to as eGos, are larger than cig-a-likes but are still compact, think the size of a cigar. They look similar to pens, hence the name, and are often the next step for vapers that began vaping using cig-a-likes.
By offering users more power, vape pens can deliver more vapor and, in turn, a better flavor. However, they still retain the simple to use features that have proven popular in cig-a-likes. Some vape pens are the market do allow for a more customizable experience, such as adjusting the voltage, but, in most cases, they focus on simplicity and ease of use.
The pros of vape pens:
- They have a longer battery life and larger e-liquid capacity when compared to cig-a-likes.
- They’re still portable enough to carry around easily and allow for discreet vaping.
- There are lots of options for e-liquids, giving vapers more choice to pick a flavor they love.
The cons of vape pens:
- Not suitable for vapers that want to fully control their vaping experience and customize their devices.
- The e-liquid tank must be manually refilled and this aspect and task won’t appeal to all vapers.
- It doesn’t resemble a traditional cigarette or the habit of smoking one, which can prove difficult for smokers trying to kick the habit.
Mods, also known as advanced personal vaporizers (APVs), are modified e-cigarettes and are usually used by advanced vapers and those that vape a lot. There are lots of different designs and can either be box shaped or cylindrical.
There are lots of options for mods and the market is huge, giving vapers a massive choice to pick the device that best suits them and control a variety of functions on the device.
The pros of mods:
- APVs deliver more power and typically allow users to vary both the voltage and wattage to create the optimal experience.
- Using mods allows you to tailor every aspect of vaping, from the method to the e-liquid, to your personal preferences.
- Nicotine delivery is often smoother than alternatives.
The cons of mods:
- Mods are bulkier than other vaping devices and as a result can be more awkward to both carry around and use,
- The huge variety of mods can make it difficult to understand which components to choose and more research is required.
- Mods are aimed at advanced vapers and can be more challenging to use initially.
Latest posts by Michael Grey (see all)
- What role does the Surgeon General have in e-cig regulation? - Mar 22, 2017
- Vaping trends: US vs UK - Mar 7, 2017
- Vaping predictions: the next 5 years - Feb 23, 2017