5 Steps to Cut Down on Nicotine
Smoking is a notoriously hard habit to kick thanks to the addictive qualities of nicotine and routines that smokers form. But vaping could help those that want to give up gradually cut down their nicotine intake over time before becoming nicotine-free.
While there are alternatives to quitting smoking that can gradually reduce reliance on nicotine, vaping stands out for one main reasons – it’s similar to smoking.
Nicotine patches or nicotine gum might deliver the nicotine but it’s an entirely different sensation. In contrast, vaping has a similar movement to traditional smoking and still involves inhaling and exhaling the chemical. A reliance on nicotine is just part of what drives people to continue smoking even when they want to give up, habit also plays a role. Vaping allows people to give up tobacco without having to change their habits at the same time, cutting the quitting process down into smaller, more manageable steps.
When compared to nicotine patches and gum, one study found that people who wanted to quit smoking were 60% more likely to be successful if they used an e-cigarette. Overall one-fifth of people who turned to e-cigs as a stop smoking aid quit smoking long-term.
5 steps to cutting down nicotine
If you’re ready to give up smoking and work towards becoming nicotine-free or simply cut back on the amount you inhale, these 5 steps can set you on the right path.
- Get ready – Before you go rushing into it, be prepared for gradually reducing your nicotine intake. Set a date and stick with it, tell your family and friends your plans so they can help support you throughout the process. You should also buy a vape kit and familiarise yourself with how to use the device. When it comes to picking the e-liquid it’s best to opt for one that’s similar to your current nicotine level to begin with.
- Transition to vaping – You may find it difficult to instantly swap to vaping and a transition period is fine. If you are struggling cut down gradually, try limiting your access to normal cigarettes, for instance leaving them at home when you go out or only using them in the morning and evening.
- Become cigarette free – As you become more comfortable swap over to vaping alone. You might slip up occasionally but don’t let that knock you off track. It may help to avoid other smokers when they are lighting up and triggers, such as drinking alcohol with certain friends if you would normally reach for a cigarette with them when you’re out.
- Reduce your nicotine intake – The great thing about e-liquids is that you can choose a nicotine level to suit you. Once you become comfortable using only an e-cigarette you can begin considering lowering the amount. Doing it gradually and moving one step down each time can help you stay on the right path and reach your goal.
- Nicotine free – As you cut down your intake of nicotine you may decide you want to remove it from your life completely. It’s possible to buy e-liquids that contain no nicotine so you can continue to use your device if you enjoy it or still find that the habit is there.
Top tips for cutting down your nicotine intake and quitting smoking with vaping:
- Be aware that unlike tobacco cigarettes, there’s no min amount of use for e-cigarettes. If you feel satisfied after a single puff put it away for a while – keeping it in your hands means you’re more likely to continue using it absentmindedly.
- Choosing tobacco flavoured e-liquid can help make vaping seem more like your conventional cigarettes if you think you’ll struggle to swap over or enjoy the taste.
- Having a schedule is good but you need to be flexible too. While you may be able to drop down to lower levels of nicotine quicker than expected at some points, you could also find it more difficult at others. Take an adjustable approach and progressing at your own pace is fine, just keep moving forward.
- Choosing a knowledgeable and helpful e-cig provider can make it easier to understand nicotine levels, which device is best for you and much more. Pick one that has plenty of information and is happy to answer any questions you have.
Latest posts by Michael Grey (see all)
- 8 must watch vaping YouTubers - Jan 20, 2017
- 10 top tips for making your New Year’s resolution stick - Jan 12, 2017
- Everything you need to know about cloud chasing - Jan 5, 2017