What is the Best Vape Pen For You?
Finding the best vape pen isn’t easy. The vaping industry is inundated with high-quality devices ranging from cigarette-like in size to big and boxy, and vape pens sit right in the middle of these two extremes. Boasting fairly long-lasting batteries, simple operation and solid vapor production, they strike a balance between portability and performance that’s just what many newer vapers are looking for. As well as e-liquid, some vape pens are designed for wax and loose leaf, so there’s more to the style of e-cig than just e-juice. But what is the best vape pen? Although preferences vary, we’ve put together a little list of our picks for the best vape pen style devices, and some guidance as to where to look for reliable reviews.
Types of Vape Pen
If you’re looking for the best vaporizer pen, the first step is to work out what type of device you’re in the market for. Here’s a quick run down of the different types of vape pen:
- E-Juice Vape Pens: Most vape pens on the market are designed for e-juice. They consist of a battery, a tank and an atomizer head. The atomizer head has a wick and coil, and when you press the button to start vaping, the coil vaporizes the e-liquid in the wick, which is then replenished by the juice in the tank. Most e-juice vape pens these days use bottom-coil clearomizers, so the juice is fed into the wicks from the top. This offers more consistent performance than top-coil clearomizers.
If you’re interested in finding out more about the different vaping devices on the market – as well as cigalikes and mods, not just vape pens – our infographic guide tells you everything you need to know.
Best All Around Vape Pen
Now you’ve had a basic introduction to the types of vape pen, it’s time to tackle the big question: what is the best vape pen? While there are great options in every class, we’re going to split the options into the best all around vape pen and the best vape pen for wax. However, for the “all around” class, we’re going to largely focus on e-juice vape pens. The problem is that many vape pens for dry herb don’t work as well as you may hope, so we’re limiting the options in that class to our pick for the very best option on the market. If you want a better dry herb vape, you may need to choose something bigger than a vape pen.
5 – Innokin Endura T18
The Endura T18 is a relatively low-power e-juice vape pen designed to support the “mouth-to-lung” style inhales smokers are used to, while still offering exceptional performance. The vape pen comes with a 1000 mAh battery, a 2.5 ml tank that you fill from the top (which is as easy as it gets) and 1.5 ohm replaceable coils. The Endura T18 has a simple, one-button operation so there’s no need to navigate complicated menus: you just fill up with some of the best vape flavors and enjoy the experience. It charges by USB, and you can vape as you charge too. In a nutshell, the performance is outstanding and it’s well-suited to newer vapers.
It costs $27.95 for the kit.
4 – Joyetech eGo AIO
The eGo AIO (all-in-one) from Joyetech is one of the many good vapes from the people at Joyetech, and offers a simplicity you don’t find with many e-juice vape pens. The device is an “all in one” style e-cigarette because the battery, tank and atomizer are all contained within the same unit. Unscrew the top of the device and you’ll reveal a 2 ml capacity tank, and it comes with sub ohm coils (with a 0.6 ohm resistance) that screw into the underside of the top cap. It has a 1500 mAh battery as standard, which is more than enough for a full day of vaping. The performance is excellent, particularly the huge clouds of vapor it puts out.
The eGo AIO is also pretty cheap, at $16.99 for the kit.
3 – Kanger Subvod
The Subvod from Kanger is another of our picks for the best vape pen for e-juice, offering sub ohm vaping from a simple device with the 3.2 ml Toptank Nano included. The battery has a 1300 mAh capacity, supports coils down to 0.4 ohms and has the one-button operation you expect from a basic vape pen. The Toptank Nano comes with a 0.5 ohm coil, can be filled from the top or bottom and has adjustable airflow so you can tailor the performance to suit your preferences. The device is much like the Endura T18, but arguably offers even better performance.
The Subvod costs $29.95.
2 – Joyetech eGo One Mini
Joyetech’s eGo One Mini is another contender for the title of best vape pen for e-juice, with an 850 mAh battery capacity and a 1.8 ml tank included in the kit. The eGo One Mini comes with two atomizer heads: one 0.5 ohm option designed to boost vapor production and offer a great direct-to-lung vape, and a 1 ohm option that still offers great performance but is better suited to smoking-like mouth-to-lung inhales. The tank also offers adjustable airflow so you can adjust the draw to suit your preferences.
The eGo One Mini is available in a kit for $32.95.
1 – V2 Pro Series 3
The V2 Pro Series 3 does something most vape pens can’t, providing great performance with wax or concentrates and dry herb in addition to the standard e-juice vaping you expect. The device works through a changeable cartridge system, with one cartridge for each type of vaping, and automatically detects which cartridge you have attached. The device has a 650 mAh battery, which isn’t as good as many of the devices on this list but is still more than enough for most vapers. However, this device makes up for any limitations by offering exceptional performance in every mode, and easily ranks as the best dry herb vape pen we’ve tried.
The V2 Pro Series 3 costs $59.99, but you have to buy the wax and dry herb cartridges separately.
Vape Pen Reviews
So the lists above should give you a good idea of the options when you’re looking for the best vape pen for your needs, but checking out some vape reviews is a crucial part of finding the very best device. Where manufacturers hype their products as much as they can, a reviewer’s job is to cut through the nonsense and give you the real low-down on what each vape pen has to offer. Before you buy, reading reviews is a must.
Although there are many excellent reviewers out there, here are a few sites we recommend checking out for all of your vape pen needs:
- Vaping360: Vaping360 is one of the most well-known vaping sites out there, and it’s earned the support of vapers thanks to it’s always-informative and no-nonsense reviews of all types of vaping devices. Although they focus on e-juice vaping – everything from beginner devices to higher-end mods – they also have sections for dry herb and wax/concentrate vape pens.
- EcigClick: EcigClick is a UK-based reviewer with a focus on e-juice vaping but some excellent, informative and in-depth reviews of some of the best vape pens, cigalikes and mods on the market. Although they don’t cover wax or dry herb vape pens, it’s definitely one to check out when you’re looking for a new device.
- The Vape Critic: The Vape Critic specializes in reviewing dry herb and concentrate/wax vaporizers, but if you’re in the market for one of them, this is one of the best places to check. With a detailed, informative and always-honest reviewing style, if you want the low-down on a dry herb or wax vape pen, you can trust the Vape Critic to steer you in the right direction.
- ECigaretteReviewed: Although ECigaretteReviewed focuses on e-juice vaping devices, they offer in-depth reviews of some of the best devices on the market and never pull punches when it comes to criticism. They also cover some dry herb and wax vaporizers like the V2 Pro Series, and they’re worth checking out if you’re in the market for anything vaping-related.
So the question “what is the best vape pen?” may not have a simple answer, but if you know what type of device you’re looking for, there are several strong contenders in each class. The challenge is finding the very best vaporizer pen for your needs. Every device has its pros and cons, and while we’ve endeavored to give you a run-down of the benefits and drawbacks of some of the best options on the market, it’s always worth digging a little deeper and reading some reviews before you pull the trigger on a purchase. If you put the work in before making your purchase and think hard about what you’re looking for, you’ll have no problem finding a top-quality vape pen.